This course provides an understanding of basic principles of Chinese speaking and written language. The focus in Chinese 1010 is on pronunciation and simple Chinese character writing.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Read and write Chinese characters from Lesson 1 to Lesson 7 of Practical Chinese Reader
- Obtain skills to accomplish exercises from Exercise I to Exercise IV of Practical Chinese Reader I: Patterns & Exercises
- Carry on simple daily conversation
- Beijing Language Institute, (1993). Practical Chinese Reader Elementary Course: Book I. Boston: Cheng & Tsui Company
- Chu, M. M. (1992). Practical Chinese Reader I: Patterns & Exercises. Boston: Massachusetts, Cheng & Tsui Company
- Teng, S. H. (1993). Practical Chinese Reader I & II: Writing Workbook. Boston: Massachusetts, Cheng & Tsui Company
Each student is supposed to spend 1-3 hours listening to Chinese language tapes and practicing speaking Chinese.